In the last three months of the 2016 Presidential election
fake news outperformed real news on Facebook. Without getting
political, the point I’d like to pull out is that most people can’t
call B.S. online when they see it. They lack what I call digital
discernment, which is a skill they must be learned.
This is in strake contrast to the “un-College” movement that
touts self-study via search engines over higher education. Just
Google-ing it can work, assuming you know how to make heads or
tails out of the results; which as we’ve seen above most people
- Consider the source: most people telling you not to go to
College either have no formal education or have degrees unrelated
to digital marketing.
- The real pros and cons of a degree in Digital Marketing from
someone who actually has one.
- How Web 2.0 has fundamentally changed the Internet and how
- The Paradox of Choice: the more options you have the harder it
becomes to make a decision.
- Social proof can be gamed. Rating and reviews are easily
- HORROR STORY: Black-hat info can get you
de-indexed from Google without you even knowing it.
3 Key Points:
- Context trumps content: Just Google-ing only works if you can
call B.S. online. Most people can’t!
- Access to Capital: There is indeed a lot of
valuable free content online, but the top shelf info still needs to
be paid for. Often times you’re looking at tens of thousands of
dollars out of pocket.
- College vets the info you’re exposed to so you never have to
worry about any MLMs or black-hat tactics being passed off on
5 Reasons You 5 Reasons May Suck!
Manipurated book by
James Loomstein Marketing Smarts podcast interview.
Scamworld: 'Get rich
quick' mutates into an unstoppable monster
- Ready to go pro but aren’t sure if College is the right choice
for you? Get my
Ultimate Digital Marketing College Guide.
- Like the podcast? Then you’ll love the book! Grab Beyond Buzzwords on
- In the last three months of the 2016 Presidential election
fake news outperformed real news on Facebook. DON’T be taken
advantage of. Our
Digital Discernment course teaches you how to call B.S.
Support this podcast:
Like what you hear? Consider becoming a patron at https://www.patreon.com/MarketingDisenchanted.
I’m a small, independent podcaster so your support goes a long
way in making sure I have the funds to keep the podcast going. Go
to Patreon.com and
check out my awesome pledge levels. You’re doing a good deed and
will be rewarded handsomely for it! Thanks in advance.
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Shoot me an email: Temi at ConsultTemi.com
(Sorry, had to break the email link to stymie the bots… damned