James Loomstein: With more than 15 years experience in strategic planning, digital marketing and consumer insights, James Loomstein is all about staying a step ahead of the digital marketing status quo.
James is the managing partner at agency Rogue Marketing and adjunct professor at Southern Methodist University Cox School of Business. Follow Rogue Marketing on Twitter at @RogueThink and follow James at @jloomstein. You can also find him on LinkedIn.
- The lonely realities of running your own agency vs working for a brand or agency and why it might behoove you to work for a brand
- Have a hard skill you’re known for i.e. kicker on a football team.
- Why being a CMO today is damn near unfair compared to pre-Internet times.
- The challenges of bringing up the next crop of professional digital marketers
- How the psychology of marketing is being devalued over metrics
- In the corporate world your real job is to not get fired.
- The amount of non-billable time that goes into a billable hour can be significant.
- Digital Marketing is over-glamorized.
3 Key Points:
- It’s better to be a meaningful specific than a wandering generality.
- Follow people, not positions. Stop trying to manipulate search engines and learn about people.
- You don’t have to be the best in the world; you just have to be the best in your world.
- Ready to go pro but aren’t sure if College is the right choice for you? Get my Ultimate Digital Marketing College Guide.
- Like the podcast? Then you’ll love the book! Grab Beyond Buzzwords on Amazon.
- In the last three months of the 2016 Presidential election fake news outperformed real news on Facebook. DON’T be taken advantage of. Our Digital Discernment course teaches you how to call B.S. online.
Support this podcast:
Like what you hear? Consider becoming a patron at https://www.patreon.com/MarketingDisenchanted.
I’m a small, independent podcaster so your support goes a long way in making sure I have the funds to keep the podcast going. Go to Patreon.com and check out my awesome pledge levels. You’re doing a good deed and will be rewarded handsomely for it! Thanks in advance.
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Shoot me an email: Temi at ConsultTemi.com
(Sorry, had to break the email link to stymie the bots… damned bots.)