In this no-holds-bar episode I respectfully challenge Gary
Varynerchuk on some advice he gave to a 17 year old girl named
Kiara. No disrespect to Gary Vee, but I refer to people who give
advice about processes they’ve never been through as male
gynecologists. They may be very well studied and mean well, but at
the end of the day they themselves have never experienced what
they’re talking about.
Temi is the co-author of
Beyond Buzzwords: Social
Media, Mobile & Other Marketing Buzzwords Ain’t the Half of
It!; and partner at Digital Marketing
Advisers, a digital agency based in Atlanta, GA. Follow
Michelle on Twitter at @tembo8482. You can also find
Temi on LinkedIn, as
well as http://ConsultTemi.com.
- Why I disagree with thought leaders Gary Vanynerchuk and John
Lee Dumas on their views a College education.
- Why their point of view on a College degree in Digital
Marketing is 3rd person, not 1st
- Why you should consider the vantage point of people who have
actually been through the process you’re considering
- Why it’s important to be able to identify and differentiate
between opinions and facts.
- The importance of being a responsible digital citizen.
- How Temi fell down the black-hat rabbit whole while meandering
the wilds of Google.
- Whenever you have an industry that can get shady it’s important
to not only educated consumers but also practitioners so they don’t
inadvertently become predators.
3 Key Points:
- Opinions and theories don’t equal facts.
- Most people lack the skill of digital discernment: the ability
to call B.S. online when they see it.
- Consult people who have actually been through the process
you’re considering undertaking.
Just Google It?! How’s Your B.S. Meter?
Ultimate Digital Marketing College Guide
Ritson: Who hurts marketing more, Gary Vaynerchuk or out-of-touch
- Ready to go pro but aren’t sure if College is the right choice
for you? Get my
Ultimate Digital Marketing College Guide.
- Like the podcast? Then you’ll love the book! Grab Beyond Buzzwords on
- In the last three months of the 2016 Presidential election
fake news outperformed real news on Facebook. DON’T be taken
advantage of. Our
Digital Discernment course teaches you how to call B.S.
Support this podcast:
Like what you hear? Consider becoming a patron at https://www.patreon.com/MarketingDisenchanted.
I’m a small, independent podcaster so your support goes a long
way in making sure I have the funds to keep the podcast going. Go
to Patreon.com and
check out my awesome pledge levels. You’re doing a good deed and
will be rewarded handsomely for it! Thanks in advance.
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Shoot me an email: Temi at ConsultTemi.com
(Sorry, had to break the email link to stymie the bots… damned